Saturday, March 8, 2014

Just Keep Swimming

With all the glorious weather we'd had the last couple weeks it had started to feel like summer. I was loving the chance to pull my shorts and sunglasses out of hibernation. But it went back to raining this morning. In an attempt to keep that summer feeling I spent this morning's workout in the pool.

I grew up swimming but only ever for fun and never competitively. So, when it came to creating a water workout I was at a bit of a loss. Lucky for me I've got some wonderful friends who are always willing to help a girl out. This workout was made for me by my dear friend, Chara, who knows what she's talking about when it comes to the pool.


If you are looking at that unsure of the difference between the swimming, kicking, and pulling, never fear! You are not alone! Swimming is exactly what you think of when you get in the pool, nice clean strokes, and going at a pace that works for you. Kicking is when you're holding onto a board and propelling your body through the water using only your legs. Make sure you're using the entire leg to kick and not just knees down. Pulling means you're pinning a floating device between your legs and using arm strength alone to travel down the lane. Pulling was absolutely the hardest for me because of my serious lack of arm strength. Didn't realize how weak they were until I tried it! Swimming 100 means you go down-and-back the length of the pool, whereas 50 is just one way.

I was pretty exhausted by the end but I know with time that will improve as long as I keep at it. Good luck to everyone out there trying this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment