Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolution Run






It had been two years since I had entered in my first 5k. It had been eight months since I had run further than one mile at a time. I was less than prepared to say the least. But I was determined. Well, relatively. My goals? To finish the race without stopping. It took my father nearly half an hour to remember how to work the settings on his GPS running watch…definitely made me feel a great deal better knowing I wasn’t the only one out of practice. By the time the race began the ice on the paths had begun to melt, the feet of thousands of runners mashed the previously frozen ground into a slippery, muddy, mess. My shoes were not appreciative of the situation. Lucky for me, the mud was not the only thing to look at. There were runners in any imaginable assortment of attire; sweats, pirate costumes, tutus, tiaras, speedos, dino costumes. My father reminded me of something we had learned years earlier, runners are a half a bubble off center. It didn’t help that there were contests awarding prizes for best costume, and least clothing in addition to the first place finishers medals. And no, my father and I did not win any awards, nor did we try to (honestly, I do races for the SWAG, notice my newest race shirt, above). We were just happy to finish faster than expected. Did I mention there was chili at the finish line? It made for a breakfast of champions on that cold, New Year’s Day morning.

Shirt: Sacuony (Seattle Half Marathon 2010)
Pants: Under Armour
Shoes: Nike

No comments:

Post a Comment