Friday, September 6, 2013

Runners' Knee

After returning to the PNW from my 21 Run trip my knee was still in incredible pain so, naturally, I googled every sort of possibility until I came up with the conclusion that I have (drum roll, please!) runners' knee. Aptly named. Turns out that because women's hips are wider and the legs angle inwards from the hips women are more prone to injure the knee to begin with. What typically causes runners' knee is the lack of proper strength training in the hips, upper, and lower legs. So, because the tendinitis prevented me from cross-training my running form had changed. Not enough that I would notice it right away, but enough to do some serious damage to my knee. The more you run on it the worse it can get. After the pain appeared and I ran an additional 5.1 miles which is potentially why the pain was so constant while I walked around Disneyland all day long (spending the rest of the day on my feet probably didn't help much either, I know).


I've used the KT tape I had for my foot to tape up my knee as well

Once I got back into PT I casually mentioned the knee pain and how I thought it might be a result of the tendinitis. They agreed and gave me some additional hip strengthening exercises to do. I did not, however get cleared to go back to any of my other sports and have been strictly instructed to get my mileage up to were I would normally have it during training before re-introducing any more activities.

We'll see how this goes. Hopefully I'll be able to go back to gymnastics and yoga soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment