Friday, October 11, 2013

Back to Basics

After finally being cleared to go back to gymnastics I realized one very sad thing: I'm terribly out of shape! All I had been working on during the summer was my running which meant I had abandoned my abs and upper body completely. For someone who is always promoting cross training I did a poor job of it myself.

Luckily for me, my coach, and friends at the gym, have been super understanding. They're helping to make sure I don't work too hard so I can get my knee back to its former healthy state. This means having to start from scratch. Back in high school I was a power tumbler. Meaning instead of being graceful and using the proper form I was muscling through the motions and using brute strength to complete my tumbling passes. This is not something I can keep doing if I want to heal up my knee. So I'm going back to basics and re-learning how to become a graceful gymnast like I was as a kid. Harder than I remembered.

There is good news, however. I have mastered a new trick! Well, its mostly mastered, it could use some fine tuning but I'll get there. I present to you: the forearm stand. I start in a bridge, move into wheel and use my abs to lift my legs over my head (this is a killer ab workout if anyone has been looking for one).

Shirt: Nike
Shorts: Lululemon
Shoes: Adidas
Tape: KT Tape

No comments:

Post a Comment