Monday, October 14, 2013

No More Excuses

I had a conversation with a friend over the weekend that got me thinking about the importance of fitness. Some people work out because they want to look good in a swimsuit, others because they have something to prove. But I'm not just talking about fitting into your skinny jeans. Although that is a good feeling. Though so is finishing a hard workout. Know why? Ask Elle Woods; she gets it. What we talked about this weekend were the effects of exercise on the brain.  As a student, getting the proper amount of exercise is crucial for proper brain function. But it's also crucial for keeping out lives on track. Many students have a hard time focusing on the task at hand; especially when the task is studying for your least favorite class and the kids down the hall are throwing a party. Following a structured workout plan is one way to help improve your ability to focus in other areas of you life as well. Athletes are capable of being better students because they have already spent years training their brains to endure rigorous tasks aka long runs prepare you for long study sessions.



There are, however, a multitude of excuses why exercise and school cannot coexist. Not enough time to squeeze in a trip to the gym, not enough energy after classes to bother, its too hard, it's too cold, it's too early, it's too late, you don't want to look bulky, it's too expensive. STOP. None of these are valid excuses and I am sick of hearing them!

There are twenty-four hours in a day. If you spend two or three of them in front of a screen for non-work related activities ie. catching up on your favorite shows, watching YouTube videos, or scrolling through Pinterest (or Reddit or Imgur) until your vision goes fuzzy, then guess what? That is time you could have spent at the gym! I'm guilty of it too, so I started to do TV workouts. They're like drinking games except when the detective says "I know who the killer is" you don't take a pull, you drop an give me twenty. There are entire websites devoted to the production of these specific workouts. I've even started to make my own for my favorite shows if I know I need to work out a specific muscle group. It works, its easy and you don't have to leave your house or sacrifice your precious tv time.

Exercise produces energy. No matter how exhausted you may be I guarantee a workout will boost your energy levels. If you're trying to pull an all-nighter just stop and do some burpees every half hour or so and you'll have no trouble staying up to cram before the test. On the flip side, getting in a solid workout can help you get to sleep at night and allow your body to catch up on all the sleep it's been missing.

It may be hard now but it will get easier if you keep trying. Just like learning to read, it wasn't the easiest activity in kindergarten but because you didn't give up you no longer have a problem with it. Everything is first difficult before you master it.

It is only cold if you are standing still. When I walk into the gym I always wish I had my down jacket with me because they blast the AC. But by the time I've completed my workout I'm in a tank top and shorts, drenched in sweat and in search of a cool beverage.

There are absolutely such things as too early and too late, so find a time that works for you. When I was living on campus I loved working out at midnight (no idea why) but now that I'm further away I wake up a couple hours earlier to run before classes and work begin. Some of my friends can only work out if it's in the middle of the afternoon. It doesn't matter when you get your fitness on as long as you do!

I promise you will not look bulky. If people are having to talk you into even going to the gym there is no way you are about to bulk up anytime soon. Lift heavy, run hard and all that will happen is you leaning out. Those women who look like the she-hulk are spending several hours in the gym each day and carefully tracking every morsel they consume. You have no fear of looking bulky unless you train to bulk up. Trust me.

While some gym memberships are more pricey than others there are always free options as well. Grab your sneakers (because I've never met a person who doesn't have at least one pair) and go for a run. Wear your regular old watch to keep track of the time and just run. You don't need high end protein shakes or supplements, you just need to get out there. Every city, town, suburb, has a street you can run on. Or a park you can circle. You can sign up for a local 5k as your motivation (something that works well with my friends) or simply have a friend who is willing to keep you accountable. On the other hand, knowing you're playing for a gym membership might just be the kind of motivation you need to get there. The most important thing to remember about workouts is that they only work if you do them. After all, buying new running shoes won't make you a better runner but running in them will.

Tadaa! I have vanquished all your excuses. You can go workout now.


Shirt: Old Navy
Shorts: Under Armour
Shoes: Nike Flex TR
Sports bra: Target
Watch: Garmin

No comments:

Post a Comment