Monday, February 24, 2014

Winter Treats

My mother taught me from a very young age that you should always feed the people you care about. My friends who live out of town have even called to see if they could come over for one of my mother's home cooked meals on more than one occasion. And what is dinner without a little dessert? Baking is a biweekly event in my house, sometimes even more often than that! During the summers we've been known to bake almost every night, especially when my brother and all his friends have taken over the house. So when the mixer gave up the ghost a couple weeks back it was pretty devastating. Granted, the mixer was about thirty years old so none of us were all that surprised. Over the weekend our new mixer arrived and I was thrilled! I got right to work on one of my all time favorite treats: Almond Cake Bars!



This particular dessert is not what anyone would consider healthy in any way whatsoever so Mom rarely ever made them but they've always held a special place in my heart so when she finally gave me the recipe a couple years back I started making them all the time.



They're essentially just sugar, flour, almond extract, and eggs. Possibly why they're so wonderfully scrumptious! I top the cake with sliced almonds and a little more sugar before popping it into the oven for the longest twenty minutes ever.


Few things smell better than almond cake fresh out of the oven!


I love how  they turned out! Can't wait to see what else I can do with my new mixer!


Mixer: KitchenAid (in Ice)

No comments:

Post a Comment