Friday, September 19, 2014

Meet Me At the Barre

Last week I took my first barre class. First several classes, to tell you the truth. It happened by accident. I noticed the Pure Barre studio on the way home from the grocery store and on a whim, decided to check it out. I went home and did a little more research. I was in my first class the next day.



They set you up with some elastic bands, a rubber ball and some light hand weights. I picked out a set of 5lbs dumbbells and the instructor smiled and brought over a lighter pair "just in case". I thought, hey, how weak do I look? I lift way more than this in  the gym, 5lbs shouldn't be a problem.



I was wrong. Before we had finished the set I had swapped out for the little three pounders, which were suddenly far less dainty feeling than they were when I walked in.

During the course of that first class my legs were shaking, my arms aching, and my abs burning. "Everything hurts and I'm dying" I could be heard saying later that day as I tried to do simple tasks, like climbing the stairs, getting in and out of the car, lifting anything, or trying to sit down.



Pure Barre was deceptively hard. So, naturally, I signed up for another class. And another, and another, and another. I'm signed up for classes through the middle of October already. I'm totally hooked, like, seven classes in eight days, hooked. They recommend between three and four classes a week to see best results but I cannot get enough, it's taking all my will power not to try more than one class a day. I enjoy it that much. And when I say enjoy I mean I'm suffering greatly for 55 minutes straight but leaving feeling better than when I walked in the studio.



I was taking to some of the other women in my classes (yes, I have seen a couple men in there, too, so gents, do not be discouraged if you want to give a class a try, you're always welcome) and they were saying they love barre because even when you totally rock one section on one particular day you'll end up getting your butt kicked by something else. You're always working on something knew. the goal is the be your best version of yourself in the class and if you just focus on one thing each time until you've got it, you'll get there.



Maybe one day you just want to hold the plank the whole time, or complete all your push ups, or sink lower down in  your thigh workout, or get your heels higher during barre work. Whatever your goal is, and whatever your sport is, I highly recommend you find your nearest barre studio and give it a go.

Have any of you taken Pure Barre or another barre class? What were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment