Sunday, August 24, 2014

Chop Chop

If you ask me what my best feature is I will always say my hair. I can toss it over my shoulder like a cape or wear it close to my face like a human-grown shield. It can be braided, knotted, twisted, curled, tied up or down; how I wear it tells the world who I am for the day.

When I was younger I used to experiment with all kinds of fun cuts and styles until a tragic bangs mishap had me growing it out forever. Since then I always get super nervous when cutting my hair. A knot forms in the pit of my stomach at the mere thought of any of my hair ending up on the salon room floor.

Lately, however, my favorite feature has really gotten on my nerves. It grows faster than weeds and has become so heavy that it actually gives me a headache if it's up for more than a couple hours - super annoying! Ponytails, buns, braids, they all start to hurt after a while and my hair ends up down whether I want it to be that way or not. So I finally sucked it up and called the salon.

The mermaid hair in all its glory

This time, however, it had gotten soooooo long that I was almost looking forward to giving it up...well, more than usual, I was still a lil' shaky about the whole thing.

Now I love my mermaid hair, I really do, but it was past the point of making me look like a Disney princess and pushing unkempt, which is not at all what I was going for with my look. So, as anyone who is panicking about the future of their head does, I pulled together an almost ridiculous number of photos that looked like the hair cut I wanted. And before my truly beloved stylist got her hands anywhere near me I made her look through the whole thing to be sure she understood.


Mermaid hair is in the rear view mirror

Lucky for me, she nailed it! Eight inches shorter and I couldn't be happier with my decision!



Top: American Eagle
Skirt: Lilly Pulitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment